Applause when the film started. Applause when the film ended. Applause 3 times throughout the film. That was my experience at my Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice screening. As a lukewarm DC fan and a Marvel can do no wrong aficionado, I was gobsmacked, flabbergasted, struck dumb, and my mouth was agape, ajar, and just wide the hell open during the movie. I left the theater with a grin that would make the Joker envious and beat feet across the parking lot to my car in order to Periscope my reaction. It was 1 AM ET.
A year ago I was given an opportunity to attend a special screening of Batman V Superman. This was the first trailer of the film and all those in attendance were rewarded by WB with some swag and a promise to see BvS before it was released in theaters. That was why I was there in the first place. In the year since that trailer reveal, no matter how many trailers, teasers, etc. that followed, I wasn’t interested in the movie. I wasn’t sure about Batfleck, Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman, and Doomsday. When it came to superhero films in 2016, BvS for me, was at the bottom with X-Men Apocalypse as far as my excitement level. I abhor Fox X films.
I stood in line with the 200 or so other special attendees, waded through the myriad of Batman or Superman t-shirt clad fans, and even witnessed two fans dressed as Batman and the other as Superman faux duke it out for our entertainment in the theater. I was so ho hum about the screening, that I took out my Macbook and started writing another page toward an upcoming novel I’m working on (spoiler: it’s going to be awesome). In other words, I entered the screening not as a fan, but as a lucky SOB who only went because I wanted to write/tweet about it.
The lights went out. Zack Snyder appears on screen. He thanked us for our support and asked us to not spoil the movie for anyone else. In other words, we had power seeing the film nearly a week early and with great power… you know the rest. The screen fades to black and then….
Yes, I’m doing what Zack kindly asked.
Sooo, what can I tell you?
- Ignore the trailers. What you think you know is not true. The editing was beyond clever and it gave NOTHING away minus SOME of the people in the film.
- Batfleck is amazing. Wonder Woman too. You’re going to be eating a hell of a lot of crow.
- Speaking of Wonder Woman… this is the best Wonder Woman to ever be filmed PERIOD and I say that with much love and respect to Lynda Carter. Gal Gadot gave us DC Animation WW. Fierce, strong, goddess, Amazonian, that kicks ass and take names.
- What you think is going to happen isn’t and what you may have guessed is going to happen in a more clever way than you could have ever imagined.
- Forget Man of Steel. Personally I liked it, but it did get mixed reviews. If you want to know how it compares, think of the last half of MoS with all the action. Multiply that a couple of times, be even more creative, throw in a bit of The Dark Knight’s feel and story telling, and that’s Dawn of Justice in a nutshell.
- Yes that’s Doomsday no matter how much you may detest it. Yes he came about the way you think as insinuated in the trailer. NO he’s not the only thing going on in this film. You will get Batman vs Superman and then some…
- Lex Luthor…… this is going to be the big debate I’m certain of it. IMHO, this Lex was the low point in the film. Don’t get me wrong, Jesse Eisenberg did a great job, but cool, suave Lex, was replaced with unhinged, I wouldn’t trust him at all Lex. The storytelling was careful and deliberate in the movie. They made sure that you believed the motives and intentions of all involved. Lex was just out of place. Only a fool would spend more than a minute with him and not know he’s up to something.
- BatmanvSuperman vs Marvel…. You really can’t compare, though many will. DC tells it’s stories in a way to try and convince you the world is real and you could possibly be in it. Marvel, outside of it’s Netflix series, doesn’t shy away from the fact that it’s a comic adaptation and instead of trying to convince you otherwise, asks you to just enjoy the ride. However, on pure enjoyment, at this point in 2016, BvS is the clear winner having beaten out Deadpool, a movie I saw 3 times by the way! Civil War has some REAL competition now and though I thought Suicide Squad was going to be good before, if it’s half as good as BvS, we may be witnessing the era of DC.
- Do not hesitate. Go see this movie!!!
Check out my immediate reaction video below for more context…